Sadiq Khan: Anger over Grenfell Tower fire follows 'years of neglect'

Virginia Carter
June 19, 2017

The 23-year-old Alhajali is the only victim of the Grenfell Tower fire to be officially named as the hard process of identifying human remains continues.

The acknowledgement of the increased death toll will be welcomed by many survivors and families of victims, who have said that it is clear the number of those who perished is far higher than the figure previously given by police.

"This is an incredibly distressing time for families", he said.

Authorities say that 58 people are known to have died in Wednesday morning's blaze but that figure is likely to rise.

The move follows widespread criticism of the local Kensington and Chelsea Council's performance as residents of the 24-storey Grenfell Tower, which was engulfed in fire early on Wednesday, condemned the relief efforts and lack of information.

Cundy says the new number may change as investigation continues.

Tailored bereavement support for families of the victims, those missing or people affected by the tragedy will also be provided.

Each household that has lost their home will receive at least £500 in cash and £5,000 paid into an account.

The Commander went on to warn that some victims may never be identified "due to the intensity of the fire".

The Prime minister said there had been "huge frustrations" on the ground as people struggled to find information.

Residents who met Mrs May in Downing Street over the weekend said while they welcomed the funding they had not been consulted before the announcement was made.

LCD Soundsystem confirm American Dream album, United Kingdom tour dates
It's the follow-up to 2010's This Is Happening , and it's due September 1 via Columbia/DFA. Don't call it a comeback, yeah yeah yeah.

The deadly blaze at London's Grenfell Tower apartment block on June 14 was Britain's worst fire disaster in decades.

"With the exception of very few junior officers, the estate managers have been invisible in the aftermath of the tragedy".

Mr Cundy promised an "exhaustive" criminal investigation into the fire that would also look at a major refurbishment of the building completed previous year.

Speaking after attending a local church service in memory of the victims, he said the fire was "a national disaster that requires a national response".

Two British ministers said Sunday that the new exterior cladding used in a renovation on Grenfell Tower may have been banned under United Kingdom building regulations.

But Mark Cripps, a spokesman for Municipal Affairs Minister Bill Mauro, said the Ontario Building Code also stipulates that if "combustible cladding" is used on a building over three storeys, the structure must be equipped with automatic sprinkler protection.

She said volunteers are now bringing to food packages to where these people are staying to help them cope but added that they had yet to see the money promised by the council.

It was reported that the material used in the cladding covering Grenfell was Reynobond PE - a cheaper, more flammable version of two available options.

Appearing on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show, Mr Hammond said: "My understanding is the cladding in question, this flammable cladding which is banned in Europe and the U.S., is also banned here".

More than 200 firefighters and 40 fire trucks were involved in operations to douse the blaze, which last for several hours.

Other reports by BadHub

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER