Al-Qaeda-linked jihadists claim responsibility for Mali resort attack

Vincent Carr
June 20, 2017

The recently formed Mali-based Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen extremist group claimed responsibility for the attack, according to SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors jihadi websites. Three foreigners, a Malian civilian and a Malian soldier were killed in the latest high-profile assault.

The statement Monday said the hotel was an approved rest and recreation location for soldiers on duty with the European Union mission.

In November 2015, at least 20 people were killed when gunmen attacked guests and staff at the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako.

Four jihadists stormed the Campement Kangaba resort area on the outskirts of the capital, opening fire on people who had come to spend the day by the swimming pools.

A spokesman for the Irish Defence Forces said that two Irish soldiers, who had been in the hotel when the attack occurred, had been located.

"At this hour, all of the terrorists have been killed".

Bachelor in Paradise Cleared of Misconduct Allegations, Production to Resume Filming
Out of respect for the privacy interests of those involved, we do not intend to release the videotape of the incident. Nor does the tape show, contrary to many press reports, that the safety of any cast member was ever in jeopardy.

Mali's Security Minister Salif Traore told The Associated Press that all the attackers had been killed.

"Then a vehicle with three jihadis entered the resort and they started to fire their weapons", he said. One of the attackers was subdued by a French soldier who happened to be at Campement Kangaba over the weekend, according to a witness at the scene.

Yesterday, MINUSMA also strongly condemned the revolting terrorist attack and expressed its deepest condolences to the Governments and families of the victims and wished a speedy recovery to the wounded.

The attack is believed to be on-going and there is no information about the number of casualities.

The US embassy in Bamako had warned earlier this month "of a possible increased threat of attacks against Western diplomatic missions, places of worship, and other locations in Bamako where tourists frequent".

Religious extremism in Mali once was limited to northern areas, prompting the French military in 2013 to lead a military operation to oust jihadis from power in the major towns in the north. "Malian special forces intervened and hostages have been released", the minister said, while adding, "Unfortunately for the moment there are two dead, including a Franco-Gabonese".

Other reports by BadHub

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER