Fernando Alonso still has 'minus zero' regrets about missing Monaco

Sandy Mccarthy
May 19, 2017

McLaren's reliability issues looked set to continue in Barcelona as an engine problem stopped Alonso from fully participating in FP1 on Friday and he was slowest in the second practice session.

Alonso delighted his home crowd by claiming seventh on the Barcelona grid in a auto that had not previously reached Q3 this season.

There were high-fives in the McLaren garage, which included Mansour Ojjeh, a 25 per cent stakeholder in McLaren, as Alonso delivered another reminder of his incredible ability.

Later passed by Marcus Ericsson's Sauber, Alonso made an additional stop for fresh soft tyres and then charged from 15th to 12th in the closing laps, but felt the race's events proved he had been in for a tough afternoon regardless of the start clash.

Alonso said his chances took another hit when he emerged from his first pitstop behind the Toro Rosso of Daniil Kvyat and could do nothing to overtake him.

Ducks even Western finals at 2, beating Predators 3-2 in OT
During the Ducks' playoff run in 2015, the winger scored 10 goals in 16 games as the team reached Game 7 of the conference finals. Tuesday's 2-1 victory over the Anaheim Ducks in Game 3 of the Western Conference final was simply the latest example.

With his three-year McLaren-Honda contract expiring, Spaniard Alonso has revealed that he is on the market for 2018 unless the struggling Anglo-Japanese collaboration can promise him a winning vehicle.

"I am confident we will do a good start, maybe gain some positions, and who knows?"

"On the chassis side we have more or less confirmed what we have thought from the opening races", said Alonso.

"Points are the main target. We now need to prepare better the next Grand Prix". "But we will try next time". "It would be nice to complete the job tomorrow".

"The race didn't go as we'd planned", he said. On the same day as Monaco, I am driving one of the biggest races in the world. "There are six cars, two Mercedes, two Ferraris, two Red Bulls that will be unbeatable for the next couple of races so to fight for P7 in Monaco, no thanks".

Other reports by BadHub

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER